Hacks and quick fixes for real food meals

Saturday, April 11, 2020

My Favorite Food

Lazy Cole Slaw


cabbage, coarsely chopped
grated carrots
lemon juice
mayonnaise
salt
black pepper
caraway seeds

When stocking up, oh it was before St. Patrick's day, I picked up a cabbage because I know how long they last in the refrigerator!  Good old foods from the lands of long winters and short growing seasons, cabbage, potatoes, root vegetables....Anyway a little cabbage goes far, in soups, salads, as a vegetable, so I still had 3/4 of my cabbage and finally got around to making my favorite food, cole slaw!  Cole slaw feels like spring so is perfect for the Easter table, and was terrific on our turkey and rye bread sandwiches.  

I can eat my cole slaw like candy, I can eat the whole bowl, now how else could you enjoy so much cabbage?  I prefer homemade over the classic because I add NO sugar.  The carrots and cabbage are sweet enough.  What is necessary for cole slaw flavor is lemon juice and mayonnaise.  Carrots are optional, though beautiful for color and vitamins, and sometimes I generously add caraway seeds, and coarse salt.  I don't usually salt anything, even soup or pasta, (except in baking bread or cakes, because in there, salt is crucial to the chemistry as well as flavor), but Lazy Cole Slaw is a special treat.  

Classic cole slaw grates the cabbage and carrots very fine, but I often (usually) just do Lazy Cole Slaw, roughly chopping the cabbage across the grain, and tossing the whole thing.

This gets even better over time in the fridge, though it never lasts too long!




No comments:

Post a Comment