Hacks and quick fixes for real food meals

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Adding Cocoa Reduces Blood Pressure? Try Co-coatmeal cookies

 

Ok my family loves oatmeal cookies, and we have our own recipe but I also love the one that comes with the oatmeal for Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies, because it doubles the oatmeal (to use it up and make you buy more of course, but who doesn't need more oatmeal?). 

And I have been reading about all the foods you need to eat everyday to reduce blood pressure and prevent cancer and prevent heart disease and prevent dementia, and so now we have a little group of foods we take one of everyday like a vitamin--which pretty much meets our calories for the day by eating them all!

AND now they are telling us that cocoa reduces high blood pressure! but has no ill effect if you already have low blood pressure.

So in advance of our annual checkup we are adding cocoa to everything! And cinnamon. (I usually add cardamom and ginger and any spices I can to oatmeal cookies! but I thought I'd taste the cocoa first...)

These came out great and my family urged me to share with you all. These are nut free, and use no eggs, (because I was out, and can only afford one shopping per paycheck).  I used white chocolate chips, dried blueberries and dried cranberries as mix-ins because I intended to make our white oatmeal cookies red, white and blue for the 4th, but didn't make them...oh well they tasted great with chocolate anyway.

1/2 cup plus 6 T softened butter (Or make it vegan: I also love to substitute olive oil pretty much anywhere! I have also used solid coconut oil here)
1 cup sugar (this is about half the Quaker Oats amount of sugar and these were still super sweet, you can cut this to taste)

Cream it up. Then add:

1/2 cup applesauce (here's where you would add the eggs)

Follow with these:

about a cup and a half flour
about half a cup of cocoa
a teaspoon baking soda
a teaspoon cinnamon

Mix it up. Add 3 cups oatmeal (dry, not cooked).
Add your add-ins, raisins, nuts, or as I did, chocolate or white chocolate chips, dried fruits (blueberries and cranberries were really good!)

Drop tablespoonfuls on a baking sheet, bake about 10 minutes in 350 degree oven. 

Made 4 dozen. 

Enjoy that calming drop in pressure!

No comments:

Post a Comment